time passages

I’ve always liked nice watches.  Not hugely complex ones with multi dials and bezels, but nice simple ones.  I’ve always marvelled at their precision engineering.

So, it’s no surprise then that I’ve always had a nice watch.  Nothing hugely expensive, massive or ostentatious, but just a nice, well-made watch.

For my 40th birthday, my family clubbed together and bought me a lovely Seiko Kinetic one.  No battery.  No need to wind it.  Its movement was powered by my movement.  The strap and case were made of titanium with gold highlights.  I adored it.  Still do.

I wore it everywhere and it’s been to the top of mountains and the bottom of the sea with me, and it always kept perfect time.  Then, on 23rd October 2014, after over 10 years of absolutely faultless precision service, it stopped.  No reason, just refused to carry on working.  

Bizarrely though, this was the exact day I was diagnosed with my cancer.  How spooky is that?  Really, really spooky if you must know!

I made a decision to not get the watch repaired.  I wanted to keep it as a stark reminder of that day – frozen in time quite literally.  And so it remains, firmly stuck at 11.14am on 23rd October 2014.


I bought myself a replacement of course.  Another Seiko Kinetic one.  I hope it never stops.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts