going back

Going through old photographs is quite a humbling experience for me.

Humbling because I am in so awe of nature and the landscapes it gives us, and in some cases after stormy weather takes away for good.

It brings back memories of epic hikes and dangerous trails, usually at the crack of dawn and with nobody else around for miles and miles.  All to catch that elusive perfect dawn light and get that image that no-one else will have got that morning.

Some of my happiest memories are of eating breakfast at first light; sat with legs dangling over the precipice of a waterfall.  Or looking out over a quite breath-taking view.  Or watching the wildlife go about their daily chores, unaware of my presence.  Or perhaps not because as soon as I would get my camera out they’d vanish!

The waterfalls were my favourite place to go though.  Early in the morning, you could be fairly certain you were the only human being for several miles around.  I loved that feeling of solitude.  And the sound of the approaching falls before they come into view is always an exciting one.

And it’s for that reason that I have set myself a challenge.  To get back to see all the falls one more time.  Not very wise you’d think given my habit of falling over lately, but it’s a risk I want to take.  I’m nowhere near fit or strong enough yet so it might be some time before I achieve my goal.  But the realisation that I am now past the average time for relapse following a stem cell transplant makes me determined to do it sooner rather than later.

After all, there’s only so much you can get from old photographs. 

I want to make new memories.

words not needed

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts